How to set up internet connection on Mac OS?
Here’s the way to set up secure constant connection which won’t be disrupted. It can be established in different ways, whether using cable, DSL modem or corporate clocal network. Some providers organize internet connection by gathering clients into bigger networks depending on their location. Another feature that such options have in common is that all of them are linked to Ethernet. Thus, there will be a need of one network configuration.
Let’s examine what settings are applicable for Ethernet connection and when they are put into action. Open System preferences — Network, and select «Ethernet».
It’s important to select IP address preferences.
Let’s move to the available options to configure IP characteristics:
- Manually, which implies you will fill in all the details by yourselves since you have a static IP address lent by your provider. Besides a static IP address, there must be a subnet mask, router, DNS-server address and Search Domains.
- By using DHCP. In this case the only data that should be filled in is the DNS-server address. Even if this field is left empty, the address will be set up automatically. Otherwise ask your internet provider for a correct address of the DNS-server. The addresses of Gars Telecom DNS servers: 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206.
- By using DHCP with pre-set address. This option is used when the provider assures DHCP configuration, but you will need to use a static IP address. All other settings are the same as described above.
- By turning off Ethernet services, in case if they won’t be used. Ethernet port won’t be active and Mac won’t be responsive to Ethernet tthat will be in «Disabled» mode..
- By creating PPPoE connection. РРРоЕ (РРР over Ethernet) is mainly used with DNS services.
Naturally, the settings depend on the configuration mode, and it is important to enter all information correctly.
Advanced settings tabs:
- TCP/IP is dubbing all settings from the Main sheet. It also serves for setting up new IP address — so-called IPv6 address.
- DNS is dubbing address of DNS serves and serves for additional configurations, which can be set up by clicking «+» if needed.
- WINS. Should be filled in if your local network is based on WindowsNT working on NetBios protocol. WINS-server plays the same part as the DNS-server by maintaining computer name-to-IP-address mappings.
- AppleTalk. By using this tab, an old network protocol, AppleTalk, can be enabled. These days it can be used for working with older computers that run on Mac OS 7.х-9.х and for connection with printer with installed AppleTalk card. If you need this function, press «Enable AppleTalk», other parameters can remain as they are.
- 802.IX. 802.IX protocol serves for manage access within local network. If it is needed to be installed, please direct to the Suppert Service for further instructions.
- Proxy. If your provider indicated the address of proxy server, turn on Web proxy, enter its address and the port number. If there is no additional details, other fields can remain unchanged.
- Ethernet. This serves for low-level settings for Ethernet. Here you can find the hardware address of your Ethernet port, which is marked as Ethernet ID, also called МАС address.