How can I conduct a primary diagnostics?
Detailed instructions for primary diagnostics on Windows Vista/7:
- To launch command line, open Start>Run. Enter cmd
Another way is to click Start> Programs> Standard and select Command Line as shown on the picture below.
2. In the black window with the command line type ipconfig /all and click Enter. You can see the example on the next picture.
3. Main settings are highlighted in yellow and they will be different in your system. IP address, netmask and DNS must correspond to your carrier’s, otherwise you have your own equipment installed.
4. 1. To check the bandwidth, you should enter ping <getaway_address>. As for this example, the command will be as follows: ping 192.168.100.1 with such a result:
It can be noticed that all requests are sent to the equipment responsible for Internet connection.
5. Then enter ping < DNS_server_address>. For Gars Telecom clients the DNS server addresses are 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206.
6. Run command Ping 220.127.116.11, and in case DNS responds, apply control test: ping www.ya.ru. If after running ping command, we receive “Response from…”, there’s no problem with internet access. If you cannot access websites via your browser (Internet Explorer, Opera, Firefox, Chrome etc.), check your PC for viruses, its proxy settings and for offline profile.
7. To enable/disable “Offline profile” in Internet Explorer, open Tools tab and check whether there’s a tick mark next to the option. To check proxy settings, open Tools and select Internet options.
Then follow to Properties and click Network Preferences. In the appeared window check the tick marks and remove those that are not needed
8. To check proxy settings on Mozilla FireFox, open Tools and select Settings.
On the screen that comes up, choose Advanced panel. Open Network tab and click Settings…. In Connection Settings dialog choose ”No Proxy”.