Frequently Asked Questions
The speed of internet connection depends not only on the technical characteristics of Gars Telecom services but as well on the actions conducted by third parties, organizations that may affect the speed level and the connection quality. Also, the internet connection is largely dictated by processor power, bandwidth, amount of available memory, and software. The speed of internet connection varies from one situation to another and cannot be guaranteed beyond the company’s network. Nevertheless, we at Gars Telecom are striving to supply our clients with stable and fast internet connection, and are asking to consider some preliminary troubleshooting.
The highest RTT level determines the time for a signal to travel from a specific source to a specific destination and back again. The higher RTT the harder to reach the maximum download speed. For the fastest download, it is recommended to imply multithreading processes.
Unfortunately, such tests cannot guarantee the precise results and are not considered reliable.The received data will be inaccurate.
Firstly, the speed of different browsers (Explorer, Google chrome etc.) and estimations by different hosts (http://2ip. ru/, http://internet. yandex. ru/, http://www. speedtest. net/ etc.) will vary.
Secondly, the wiring diagram used while testing is of high importance, namely inline or by tapping into routing devices that might cut on traffic.
Thirdly, it is necessary to understand that the testing results of a loaded channel shows the residual carrying capacity rather than nominal. In case of 100% network load, the speed issues can be observed.
For more accurate diagnostics, it is advised to take readings directly from the channel port and resources within our network since the quality of speed beyond its limits cannot be guaranteed. Gars Telecom possesses its own server which operates on the same principles as 2ip. ru (http://st. garstelecom. ru).
- Use the firewall while internet connection.
The internet connection firewall acts as a protective boundary for the computer from the third parties. It can indicate malicious hacker attacks, «worms» and some types of viruses before they lead to malfunctions in your computer’s operation. Besides, firewalls protect your computer from involvement in such attacks to other computers without your permission.
- • Use the latest anti-virus programs.
Software producers constantly work on their products’ improvement by releasing new versions and «patches» to programs’ earlier versions. If you are a Windows OS user, it is recommended to periodically update it by installing the latest «patches». Starting from Windows 98 version, there’re automatic Windows Update built-in means deployed. Follow instructions on the screen. Windows Update will examine the system and provide with the preliminary list of crucial updates.
- Use the latest anti-virus programs.
Anti-virus programs detect and quarantine the majority of viruses, «worms», Trojan programs and other malicious software. Many new computers have anti-virus programs pre-installed. At the same time, to maintain the protection level, it is necessary to activate subscription package. Outdated anti-virus programs are ineffective, so they must be updated regularly. If subscription expires, your computer can become vulnerable to attacks of malware which can cause a significant increase in traffic, productivity decrease, internet operation failure, etc.
A simple anti-virus program installing is not enough; it must be set up correctly: real-time virus scanning must be turned on; hard drive scannings are to be scheduled anti-spam protection must be activated.
Internet connection as well as connection to a local network, along with the considerable extension of opportunities of obtaining the most various information, involves as well some inconveniences which, under certain circumstances, can turn into serious issues.
The main reason is that accessing to a huge number of the resources provided by a large number of computers both on Internet and a local area network makes the owned resources available for other users of the same network. Any computer connected to the internet or to a local area network is vulnerable to the following interactions:
- software from unknown publishers (which may contain Active X and Java applets);
- unauthorized access to local disc by other computers of the network;
- placement of extra files (e. g. Cookies) that may carry information about the user, preferences and visits;
- Trojan files and spyware intrusion;
- a threat of DOS-attack..
Windows XP SP2 Firewall setup example
Please note: if firefall software on your PC is turned on or there is protection software installed on Windows, you must disable them or set up for further correct work within our network. It is needed for your PC’s identification.
Before turning on firewall, check whether the update package 2 for Windows XP is pre-installed on your computer. It can be done by right-clicking on My Computer icon and choosing Properties.
In case the update package 2 isn’t installed, it can be downloaded:
Update package 2 for Windows XP (ENG)
Update package 2 for Windows XP (RUS)
- Open Start > Settings > Control panel. In control panel select Windows Firewall.
- In the appeared window, choose Enable (recommended)
- Open Exclusions tab and select all software that will be used in thew appeared window.
E.g., to add Internet Explorer you should click Add program button and find Internet Explorer. Then press ОК.
To open access to your resourses to other users, tick File and Printer sharing.
For files exchange within a local network, tick File and Printer sharing.
By choosing all elements and clicking Change area…
all previous areas must be changed to Any computer.
Once all changes are completed, press ОК.All information about allowed and prohibited connections is stored at C:\WINDOWS\pfirewall.log.
- Then check Advanced tab if the VPN is marked with a tick.
In the same tab, in ICMP sheet click Preferences and tick all components as shown below.
Network security is becoming more and more important while people spend more and more time online. To disrupt network security is often easier rather than physical or local security. Moreover, it occurs more often.
Network security is a set of measures for preventing:
- unauthorized access;
- misuse or modification the ordinary processes;
- intentions to disrupt the computer network’s components.
Here are instructions that aim to increase network security.
Detailed instructions for primary diagnostics on Windows Vista/7:
- To launch command line, open Start>Run. Enter cmd
Another way is to click Start> Programs> Standard and select Command Line as shown on the picture below.
2. In the black window with the command line type ipconfig /all and click Enter. You can see the example on the next picture.
3. Main settings are highlighted in yellow and they will be different in your system. IP address, netmask and DNS must correspond to your carrier’s, otherwise you have your own equipment installed.
4. 1. To check the bandwidth, you should enter ping <getaway_address>. As for this example, the command will be as follows: ping 192.168.100.1 with such a result:
It can be noticed that all requests are sent to the equipment responsible for Internet connection.
5. Then enter ping < DNS_server_address>. For Gars Telecom clients the DNS server addresses are 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168.
6. Run command Ping 22.214.171.124, and in case DNS responds, apply control test: ping www.ya.ru. If after running ping command, we receive “Response from…”, there’s no problem with internet access. If you cannot access websites via your browser (Internet Explorer, Opera, Firefox, Chrome etc.), check your PC for viruses, its proxy settings and for offline profile.
7. To enable/disable “Offline profile” in Internet Explorer, open Tools tab and check whether there’s a tick mark next to the option. To check proxy settings, open Tools and select Internet options.
Then follow to Properties and click Network Preferences. In the appeared window check the tick marks and remove those that are not needed
8. To check proxy settings on Mozilla FireFox, open Tools and select Settings.
On the screen that comes up, choose Advanced panel. Open Network tab and click Settings…. In Connection Settings dialog choose ”No Proxy”.
To test data transmission speed, complete the following steps:
Для Windows (начиная от Windows XP)
1. Check that the computer is connected directly to the network without using extre equipment;
2. Turn off antiviruses and other software that potentially can block internet access, or that are using internet connection at the moment (uTorrent, Skype etc.);
3. Open command line (Start-Run-cmd or by the combination +R, in Run tab enter cmd) and enter the following commands:
ping yandex.ru (or google.ru)
4. Measure data transmission speed on st.garstelecom.ru.
For Mac OS
1. Check that the computer is connected directly to the network without using extre equipment;
2. Turn off antiviruses and other software that potentially can block internet access, or that are using internet connection at the moment;
3. Open network utility (Programs>Utilities>Network utility).
3.1. In ping tab enter www.yandex.ru (or google.ru) with number of requests from 4 to 10, take a screenshot;*
3.2. In traceroute tab enter www.yandex.ru, take a screenshot;
4. Measure data transmission speed on st.garstelecom.ru and take a screenshot.
MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express setup
- To work with email service you need to set up email account. Run Outlook, choose Tools, then Accounts.
- To create a new account, select Internet Email Account > Add New > Email. Internet configuration Wizard will launch and help you to fill in the details. If you are running Outlook for the first time, the Wizard will launch automatically once the program is opened. Fill in your full name first, then your email address.
*We recommend to delete all existing accounts before adding a new one.
- Enter the name that will be displayed.
- Enter login registered on the email server.
- Enter incoming mail server POP3: mail.internets.ru
- Outgoing mail server SMTP: mail.internets.ru
- Email account: Your_name@internets.ru
Password: ***** (Provided by admin)
Reboot your email client.
Important: all actions can be completed by Administrator or another user with a sufficient access level.
Click Start button and select Control panel.
In Network and Internet tab select Network Status and Tasks.
In Network and Sharing Center select Manage Network Connections.
In Network connections right click Local Area Connection and then choose Properties.
Untick all components except Internet Protocol TCP/IP version 4. (Optional)
Select Internet Protocol TCP/IP version 4 and click Properties.
In Properties: Internet Protocol TCP/IP window tick Use the following IP address and Use the following DNS addresses. Insert new settings. Click OK.
Close Local Area Connection tab by clicking OK .
Here’s the way to set up secure constant connection which won’t be disrupted. It can be established in different ways, whether using cable, DSL modem or corporate clocal network. Some providers organize internet connection by gathering clients into bigger networks depending on their location. Another feature that such options have in common is that all of them are linked to Ethernet. Thus, there will be a need of one network configuration.
Let’s examine what settings are applicable for Ethernet connection and when they are put into action. Open System preferences — Network, and select «Ethernet».
It’s important to select IP address preferences.
Let’s move to the available options to configure IP characteristics:
- Manually, which implies you will fill in all the details by yourselves since you have a static IP address lent by your provider. Besides a static IP address, there must be a subnet mask, router, DNS-server address and Search Domains.
- By using DHCP. In this case the only data that should be filled in is the DNS-server address. Even if this field is left empty, the address will be set up automatically. Otherwise ask your internet provider for a correct address of the DNS-server. The addresses of Gars Telecom DNS servers: 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52.
- By using DHCP with pre-set address. This option is used when the provider assures DHCP configuration, but you will need to use a static IP address. All other settings are the same as described above.
- By turning off Ethernet services, in case if they won’t be used. Ethernet port won’t be active and Mac won’t be responsive to Ethernet tthat will be in «Disabled» mode..
- By creating PPPoE connection. РРРоЕ (РРР over Ethernet) is mainly used with DNS services.
Naturally, the settings depend on the configuration mode, and it is important to enter all information correctly.
Advanced settings tabs:
- TCP/IP is dubbing all settings from the Main sheet. It also serves for setting up new IP address — so-called IPv6 address.
- DNS is dubbing address of DNS serves and serves for additional configurations, which can be set up by clicking «+» if needed.
- WINS. Should be filled in if your local network is based on WindowsNT working on NetBios protocol. WINS-server plays the same part as the DNS-server by maintaining computer name-to-IP-address mappings.
- AppleTalk. By using this tab, an old network protocol, AppleTalk, can be enabled. These days it can be used for working with older computers that run on Mac OS 7.х-9.х and for connection with printer with installed AppleTalk card. If you need this function, press «Enable AppleTalk», other parameters can remain as they are.
- 802.IX. 802.IX protocol serves for manage access within local network. If it is needed to be installed, please direct to the Suppert Service for further instructions.
- Proxy. If your provider indicated the address of proxy server, turn on Web proxy, enter its address and the port number. If there is no additional details, other fields can remain unchanged.
- Ethernet. This serves for low-level settings for Ethernet. Here you can find the hardware address of your Ethernet port, which is marked as Ethernet ID, also called МАС address.
- First of all, try to restart your modem.
- In case it doesn’t help, connect your computer directly to the modem.
- If there’s no positive outcome, direct your request to the technical support.
The actual WI-FI speed depends on features and settings the equipment used for the connection, number of clients connected to the network, bandwidth hogs, and other wireless networks and radio-frequecy interferences in the same range.
The matter is that the wireless access point can maintain a constant connection only with one client at the same time. The WAP usually operates in a so-called half-duplex mode, enabling only two-way connection.
If there are two users connected to the Wi-Fi network, the WAP will deliver signals in turns, switching between two channels. Respectively, the real speed will be twice lower than the maximum actual speed for one client.
Depending on how remote the client from the WAP is and how many hogs and radio-frequency interference are in the range, the potential and, as a result, actual speed rate will vary.
Presumably you’re not using our DNS. Try to connect your PC directly to our cable and rewrite our configurations and server’s DNS (184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11), in this case everything must be working properly.